Want a chocolate cookie that’s chewy, rich, very chocolatey and completely satisfies any emotional eating emergency…then you’ll love this recipe for condensed-milk chocolate walnut cookies. I’ve made this recipe before, but used white chocolate chips instead. Both recipes are divine…but this time around, I opted for the chocolate version.
I wasn’t planning on making chocolate cookies…but I needed it!
I was up at 4:00am helping my teen daughter get ready for a school field trip to Busch Gardens…5 hours away. It’s become a tradition for 8th grade classes to take a trip to Disney World, Universal Studios or Busch Gardens as a graduating activity. And, living in Florida, these parks are not too far way.
When I was in 8th grade, all we got was an “end of junior high” dance. Now they get trips, luncheons, and proms…yes, 8th grade proms! Maybe it’s always been this way in other parts of the country, but growing up in South Florida, we just got that one dance, lol. I didn’t think I’d be facing the drama of dress shopping, shoe shopping, hair styling, make up, etc…for a few more years.
Once my daughter was off to school to meet the buses, sometime around 4:30am, I tried to get back to sleep. I eventually gave up and just faced the day. I guess the frantic rush to make sure she had everything for the trip and a bit of anxiety over my baby girl going on a trip without me, got the best of me. They say lack of sleep brings on major carb cravings and I am a complete believer! I really had other recipes planned, but I caved and put this recipe together in under 20 minutes.
As I’ve mentioned before, the original recipe came from my Aunt Harriet, but I change it around depending on the type of chocolate chips I have on hand. The only change I made this time, was adding a little bit of baking powder, just to give the cookies some rise. It’s a super quick and easy recipe you can put together when you’re in a sleep-deprived and anxiety-ridden state.
Just melt the butter, condensed milk, and chocolate chips. Then add the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract.
Stir in some chopped nuts- I used walnuts, but feel free to use what you like. Then set aside to cool for a bit.
The baked cookies come out with a hard outer shell…
…but inside is a chewy and fudgy core.
Just perfect for my carb-craving day.
The buses returned sometime around midnight, carrying cold and exhausted kids. It was in the 50s…yes, that’s pretty cold for us 🙂 My daughter and her friend collapsed in the car. Then I gave them some cookies 😉
- 2 tablespoons butter (2 oz)
- 5 ounces milk chocolate chips (140g)
- 5 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (140g)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛th teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (125g)
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk on a medium-low setting. Make sure to stir often.
- Once the ingredients are combined, add the flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt.
- Add the chopped nuts.
- Let the dough sit at room temperature to cool or until easy to handle.*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the dough has cooled, drop the dough using a scooper/dropper onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, no longer.