Sunflower seeds and nuts- a great and satisfying combination. These Gluten Free Nutty Sunflower Seed Bars are definitely nutty, chewy and perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up.
I remember the first time I saw an entire field of sunflowers- I foolishly gasped when I saw the massive amount of seeds packed in the center of each flower.
Up until then, I assumed that sunflower seeds or kernels came from some other plant- not the actual flower. I remember my uncle grabbing a sunflower and breaking the center in half, revealing the rows and rows of neatly packed sunflower kernels. It was sometime in August- when most sunflowers are ready for harvest.
Although usually associated with Fall, they also remind me of summer- when I looked out onto entire field of sunflowers eagerly seeking out the sun. So, in honor of summer and the sunflower, and the huge pack of sunflower seeds that had been sitting in my refrigerator for a bit too long…I made these sunflower seed bars.
Instead of using oats, I ground up walnuts to use as a base.
To the walnut flour, I added almonds, shredded coconut, and mini chocolate chips. This is a very versatile and forgiving recipe. Play around with it, add in your favorite nuts, dried fruit or anything else you can think of.
Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake for twenty minutes…
The bars come out warm and chewy. The aroma spreading out from the kitchen is sure to bring everyone out from their Iphone/Ipad/Super Mario Bros trances- at least that’s what was going on in my house on a stormy and very rainy day.
These bars are perfect for an afternoon snack, paired with some coffee and milk. You get nutty goodness, with a hint of coconut and chocolate, and a chewy and totally satisfying experience.
To summer, summer storms, and an abundance of sunflower kernals- giving me a reason to stop the housework, make some treats and unwind with a nice cup of coffee.
- one cup walnuts, shelled
- one tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 3 cups raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 11 x 7 baking pan.
- Process walnuts in a food processor with the melted coconut oil.
- Empty the walnut flour into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, the sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, honey, coconut, chocolate chips, vanilla and salt.
- Stir well. Add extra honey if necessary.
- Spread the mixture into the baking pan and flatten evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Once cooled, slice into rectangular bars.
- Store bars in an air tight container.